I get up to see if I can help her, and I realize it's the Easter chocolate - and the foils - from about a dozen mini Reese's Cups. Great. Exactly what I was NOT wanting to see. (In case you are unaware, chocolate is toxic to dogs and can be lethal in large doses.) I call the after-hours vet hot line and speak to Liz. She is not concerned. Apparently milk chocolate is better than dark (how can it be possible?) and the fact that there was peanut butter as part of the treat seems helpful as well. She says we can expect some vomiting and diarrhea over the next few days. Nice. I go back to bed. Jezzy comes with me. I say a short and direct prayer about doing anything so long as she doesn't "pass" the chocolate in the bed. I am sure God has heard me.
Hayes wakes me up at 5:30 - the bed is wet. So are his boxers. Really? This hasn't happened for ages. Yup, really. Ok, strip the bed; strip the kid; wash the kid; redress the kid; put kid in his own bed (where I am now convinced he should have been all night anyway); throw the bed clothes in the laundry; redress the bed; get under the covers only to hear the alarm go off -- I have to work today. Where's Richard, you ask? He's in Orlando. He'll be back Thursday afternoon. Most of the chocolate should have "moved through" Jezzy's system by then.
I'm tired. I think I'll go to bed. Alone.