Saturday, February 24, 2007

Lent, Again

I have tried for many years now to participate in the sacrifices of lent. I'm a big believer in practices. Humans need them; I need them.

But this year, I just couldn't come up with anything. I know it sounds lame, but it's the truth. I concidered many things. Can I stop being cynical? I could try I suppose. Could I give up wine? Not with a trip to Sonoma upcoming. Could I give up TV this year? No. And perhaps I am simply unwilling. The circumstances leading up to lent this year were not the sort that gave me the ability to contemplate my sacrifice as I would have liked. Mom had her moment in the hospital, Richard was traveling more than usual, Hayes was having trouble in school and my studio was in constant disarray. Perhaps this is the year I will enjoy the relief of not sacrificing during lent. I know that Easter is supposed to celebrate just such an occasion, but life does not always happen according to the calendar, does it?

I think that this year during lent, every time I look at my mom, who is still here; and my husband, who loves us so deeply; and my son, who never loses his passion for life dispite the constraints school wants to put on that, I will celebrate the sacrifices that have been made but have not broken us. I will remember the reason we celebrate lent and the relief that we have been given. Here's to lent.

No comments: