- 6 am mad dash to the airport
- two uneventful flights land us in Orlando
- call from home that Garter (my grandmother) has been hospitalized with pneumonia
- family dinner at Downtown Disney is not so fabulous, but the Lego store is a winner
- Call Garter, doing well
- Spend wonderful day with family in Florida
- wakened in dead of night (12:23 am) to a call from home: Aunt is being air-lifted to the heart center, as she has had a massive heart attack. Don't know if she will survive
Friday, November 28th
- 1:30 am, still awake and listening to the last Disney busses stop at our hotel
- 3:30 am, randomly wish I were a smoker so I could go have a drag on the balcony
- 4:30 am, finally fall asleep
- 6 am, wake-up call for "fun day" in the Magic Kingdom
- 11:30, finding quiet place in MK to take conference call with family - finally get the full story, still not sure if aunt is going to make it.
- 1 pm, nap
- 5 pm rejoin family in MK and have some fun after all
- midnight, fall into bed
Saturday, November 29th
- Last hurrah in WDW
- Flight delayed and will not make connection
- Aunt still touch and go
- Garter checked into nursing home; my aunt was her primary care giver
- Fly home on a jet far to small for my taste
Sunday, November 30th
- 1 am, home at last; fall into bed
- 10 am Richard departs for week in Texas
- visit Garter in nursing home (30 minutes away) - take home a list of items she still needs from the house
- go to Aunt's house (30 minutes away) and reheat Thanksgiving leftovers. How perverse is it that my aunt made the dinner we would need while she was in the hospital?
- Family meeting at 7 to figure out details of next week
- 9 pm, take items to Garter
- 10 pm, visit Aunt for first time. It's as bad as everyone has said.
Monday, December 1
- All manner of running about, to nursing home, to hospital, to pick up Nephew from school
- GOOD NEWS! The balloon pump that was in Aunt's heart has been removed and her heart is pumping on its own. Thank God.
- Dinner with Uncle and Nephew at our house
Tuesday, December 2
- Another blur of hospital and nursing home visits, groceries, Nephew and dinner at our place
- Hospital decides not to take Aunt off ventilator yet.
- Garter calls and calls and calls - she has inane jobs she wants us to tend to (brushing her dog, putting up the Xmas tree for Aunt, etc.)
- Father has to go put Garter in her place.
- we are all on edge with one another.
- I polished off an entire bottle of Chardonnay.
Wednesday, December 3
- 9 am, Take coughing child to Dr. Diagnosed with mild form of asthma - only flares with colds
- 10:30, pharmacy for refill on nebulizer
- 11 am, pick up Nephew
- 11:30 am, visit nursing home, conference with occupational therapist
- 1 pm, discover that the little whippet has demolished the carpet at the threshold of our bedroom door
- 1:30 pm, oh yeah, the boys need lunch
- No word yet from hospital. Have yet to visit that bunch.
I don't even want to ask what could go wrong next for fear of jinxing us all -- we just need some peace and quiet.
- 5:30 pm, reheat and freeze last of Thanksgiving dinner at Aunt's house
- 8:15 pm, Hayes has to be held down by me AND my father for nebulizer treatment.
- 9:30 pm, glass of wine and vegging by the TV