Thursday, July 12, 2007

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

I finished reading Barbara Kingsolver's book. I love her voice. It's like a cross between my Literature Professor, Pat Magness and my good friend, Caitlin Jorgenson (also a professor). I loved this book. It was really inspiring for me. It makes me want to live on a farmette and can all summer long. But short of that it makes me proud that I grow some produce and shop regularly at the farmer's market. Reading this book also prompted me to be more informed about the origins of my food. I am not as zealous as Kinsolver is about saving the gas it takes to cart in my fruits & veggies from all over the globe, although I am happy to do more than just recycle to save the planet. The thing that most hit me is that my money should be going into the economy where I live. I want to support my local farmers and their way of life and help send their kids to school. I want to be more intentional about how I spend my money and how much of it gets to the producers. These things seem to matter. At least I think they should. And if none of that is really impressive to you, Kingsolver's daughter provides these fabulous meal plans and recipies throughout that are mouthwatering in and of themselves. It's worth a look.

No comments: