Friday, June 20, 2008

Love In The Time Of Cholera


Contrary to what my blog my hint at, my life has been about more than just the dogs lately :) I finally finished reading Love In The Time Of Cholera

I have to admit, for me it was a bit of a slog. I don't know why really, except that I just couldn't love ANY of the main characters. They were too well written. Gabriel Garcia Marquez is unflinching in his character descriptions. They all have so many flaws, so many downright ugly qualities, that it was a hard read. It was too realistic for me to enjoy and I feel a bit embarrassed admitting it. I think when it comes right down to it, they reminded me of myself too much and were not nearly escapist enough for me. The ending was a slight redemption, for some characters and for the plot.

The writing was beautiful, but for my money, I'll take the lyrical writing of Zora Neal Hurston over this book any day. Sorry Richard. It was just ok.

No comments: