Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Book Reviews

Confessions
Just finished two fabulous books, each in their respective genres.

1. How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Terri McMillan -- I LOVE this book. I start out every summer with it. If you don't mind the profanity (which, of course, my mom was shocked by), and you can follow a train of though without any punctuation (sorry Richard), I highly recommend it. Fun, flirtatious and absolutely inspiring. I'll have to remember this the next time I have a creative block.

2. A Generous Orthodoxy, Brian McLaren -- I do not have adequate words for the impact on my faith this man's books have had. Finally, someone who understands faith in a similar way as I do. I have waited a long time to hear another voice out there proclaiming Christ in this way. If you are fed up with the church as we know it, if you are sure there must be another way, if you just don't see Christ in Christianity so much anymore, I say you must read this book! Utterly refreshing.

Now, of course, I have to choose from the waiting stack of 4 which one I will read next. Anyone read anything by Spong? I got 3 of his books for Xmas this year and I think he's next on my list. I'd like to compare him to McLaren.

No comments: