Saturday, July 09, 2005

Lesson Learned

I have been exhibiting at fairs this summer feeling more and more confident: about my products, my experience, my preparation, my interaction with other artists and patrons. Today I had a first. I work in several media and have only recently fallen in love with beeswax. I've been showing "Frank & Helen" as several fairs and they always get a lot of attention. The temperature at today's fair neared 90. When I finally realized what was happening, it was too late. The entire collage had peeled away from the canvas! Buttons and leaves were on the table where it was propped up and the postcards and photo were hanging in a gooey mess. So "Frank & Helen" will be attending only indoor shows from now on. I do believe the damage is repairable, this is the joy of working with beeswax -- you can simply melt things off and reapply them if you don't like it. What an adventure. On the upside, my 2 most expensive pieces have found homes with people who absolutely adored them. Special thanks to Amy K who was the muse who helped my finish "Wounded Soldier."

No comments: