Friday, August 26, 2005

The Bill Of Rights




I started a new series of collage yesterday. It rather surprized me, and yet it makes perfect sense. I was originally thinking about doing a series with birdcages: what it means to be caged and how we allow ourselves to be caged. So I began brainstorming about ways we end up in cages. The more I wrote, the more I realized that I was writing about our basic American rights. I also should mention that I just recieved my ACLU card in the mail and have been hearing all the news about how Iraq just can't get a Constitution drafted. It occured to me that it might be appropriate to express my understanding about our rights and freedoms through a series of collage on the Bill of Rights.

For those of you who were not paying attention in high school, the Bill of Rights are the first 10 Ammendments of the Constitution. You can find them here. The three I have posted are called: Freedom of Expression (I); Jury of Your Peers (VI); and Peaceably Assemble (I), respectively. Each is 5 x 7. The number in parenthesis is the number of the Ammendment in which these principles are found. I am in the process of working on Search & Seizure (IV) with a hand and some keys. I'll try to post it when it is done. This series has been thought provoking and enjoyable all at the same time. I could never have predicted it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These are very provacative and visually exciting!
~Sharon