Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Travel Bug

Confessions

I admit it: I want to see the world, and yes, first I'd like to see Europe. I taught Western Civ for 7 years and studied it unceasingly prior to teaching; I want to see and touch and smell the places that were so frequently part of my life if only in the realm of thought. So imagine my elation when Richard came home and said that we had the opportunity to visit Heidelburg, Germany with a work related convention that he will be attending! True, Germany was not exactly on the top ten list -- I had ideas about Italy and Greece and Trukey and Spain and Slovakia... but to travel to Europe at all seems like a gift from the gods. And it so happens that this is a boarder town with France and I absolutely know how to take a train.

We'll be getting 6 whole days to enjoy life without Bush, life immersed in a different language, life with exquisite beer and wine. I will be free to explore on my own for three entire days. This seems like a fairy tale. I get to see Castles and Cathedrals and little shops and squares and ... ephemera! I have noticed that my collage takes off after traveling. I'm not sure if it's the freshness of a new place or the relaxed atmosphere without the pressures of home. It doesn't matter. I'm looking forward to this with great anticipation. And if it includes a weekend in Paris I may have actually died and gone to heaven. But we are still working on that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Heidelberg, my love, and I'm working on the details. Here are the events to take place on the weekend if Paris can't happen.

Saturday, October 8, 2005

Day trip: Stroussbourg, France

Stroussbourg is the seat of the European Union, and home to one of the oldest cathedrals in central Europe. Befitting an historical location favored by American visitors, the honor and history of the area has been augmented by a collection of expensive shops. Major credit cards accepted.
We will depart the hotel at 11am and lunch in Stroussbourg. We will depart Stroussbourg approximately 5pm.
Transportation by bus will be provided to Stroussbourg and to Dinner. We are considering using private cars for Golf, as the groups will be small.

Sunday, October 9, 2005
Day event: Tour of Heidelberg

Join us as we stroll through the old city of Heidelberg, taking advantage of the Hauptstrasse, Heidelberg's High Street. With elegant old churches and renaissance era architecture, Heidelberg is an old world European city and a center of University study and research in Southwestern Germany. Befitting an historical location favored by American tourists, the honor and history of historical Heidelberg has been augmented by a collection of moderately priced shops. Major credit cards accepted.

Dinner and Tour: Castle Heidelberg
Located high above the old city, the castle is Germany's only pre-Renaissance era castle to remain in this part of the country, having survived multiple periods of unrest - including the Hundred Years' War. A tour will be followed by dinner.

Anonymous said...

Heidelberg is beautiful! It is such a wonderful quaint town. Chris and I did the Castle tour while we were there. I will have to dig up our trip log and photos to remember what else we did while we were there! You will love it!

Julie L.