Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Throwing Down the Gauntlet

I am so proud of my sister -- she had been dedicated to running to a long time now, and not only has she lost 50 lbs (hello!) she is up to running 3 miles at a stretch. Being from a more sedentary family, this is, in my world, f***ing awesome!

So she mentions on the phone the other day how she got up to 3 miles for the first time, without stopping and I am so stoked, I say, "Hey, lets do a 5K together!" Mind you, I am an avid walker in my own mind, but spotty at best in reality. She thinks it's a fabulous idea and we are on for next summer. It is only after I hang up that I realize, she thinks I am running! Wow! So instead of backing out of this, I figure I have at the very least 7 months and I know I can easily walk 2 miles right now. I'm going to try and run it. What the hell? So here's to the next 7 months of training (doesn't it sound a wee bit lame to be training for a 5K?) and all the sweat and tears associated with it. Hey, maybe I'll drop a pants size too.

No comments: