Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I Made This



When I was a kid, my mom used this book to make some of the most memorable cakes for our birthdays and holiday parties. I remember really loving that candy was used to decorate the cakes. Talk about having your cake and eating it too! For the child of a diabetic, it was like heaven on a plate. One of the benefits of living with Mom is that I have access to all her recipe books, including this one. Although the pages are literally falling out, the cakes are still loads of fun.

I gave the book to Hayes so he could select the cake he really wanted for his birthday. It was definately a tough choice. Although the football held a lot of pull, the final choice was the Rocket. The best part about this is that I could decorate the entire thing with white icing and organic candies, avoiding dye completely! This is the final product. It was a real blast!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it, love it! Great work! I have become a cake decorating fool myself...I DVR every episode of Ace of Cakes on Food Network and take every occasion to make a fancy, fun cake. I already have scketched a baby shower cake that I am doing in 3 weeks (crazy loser I am). Some day Chris and I plan to open up The Long Lake Baking Co. He will do the pies and I the cakes. Can't wait! Want a job? :)

Julie

Unknown said...

You bet! I make some pretty fabulous breads...

Anonymous said...

and you worry that you are a bad mom?

hmm...

mollie