Friday, June 12, 2009

I HAVE to try this jelly


I'm not usually a jelly maker - I prefer jam. I love those bits and pieces of fruit that I picked myself. But when I stumbled across this recipe at www.pickyourown.org I just couldn't resist. Ever since I tried rose petal tea in Paris, I've had a soft spot in my heart for cooking with roses.

Of course, I haven't tried this jelly yet, but you can bet that it will show up this summer at some point. Here's the recipe:

Rose Hip Jelly

NOTE: Rose hips contain tannic acid in the seeds which cause a chalky taste. (Slit hips down one side and knock out seeds, or take pin and push out seeds before cooking for jelly.) The rose hips reduce by 2/3, so you will need 3 cups of raw rose hips for each cup of puree.

Rose hips have little or no pectin; therefore, a gel is difficult to achieve without added pectin. For this reason, we strongly recommend using pectin!

With Pectin: Yields 7 jars

9 cups raw fresh rose hips - to make 3 cups rose hip puree
l pkg. powdered
low sugar or no sugar pectin
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups sugar
Add coloring, if desired

Simmer the prepared rose hips in water until soft -- about 10-15 minutes. Mash with a potato masher until smooth or puree in a blender. If you want extra smooth, clear jelly, filter through a jelly strainer or cheesecloth.

Combine 3 cups of the puree with pectin and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Add sugar, boil hard for 2 minutes or until gel is reached (see page 1). Pour into sterile jars, leaving 1/8" headspace. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids and rings. Water bath 5 minutes.

No comments: