Friday, August 28, 2009

Sewing Again

It seems like every so often I pull out the sewing machine and tackle another new project. I have to say, I've been very inspired by a good friend and some of the most lovely sewing blogs I can find. I swoon every time I see Amy Butler fabrics. And don't even get me started on Moda!

I've not only discovered that quilt shops seem to be the best place to purchase the most mouth-watering fabrics, but there is a world of patterns out there that don't require you to actually have a size. This, my dear friends, is very important. I already blogged about the cutest little summer tunic - I've made two. I also discovered this tutorial on how to make a gored skirt (I had to look it up too) that actually fits MY body. That is no small task. The thing is, I love the skirt and have been wearing it repeatedly this summer. Never have I actually had a skirt that falls away from my body the way it was intended to. SO happy to have discovered this. Incidentally, I created my pattern from paper grocery sacks.

I even purchased a book (because our library in podunk USA is crappy when it comes to crafting books and the interlibrary loan seems to be a mystery to them) called Weekend Sewing. I was psyched to see the entry on PJs for everyone. I had to try it. (Caveat: the patterns DO have sizes and the largest is barely my size.) I was debating about what fabric to purchase for these lovely pajama bottoms, and just happened to walk into hobby lobby (on a different mission) and stumbled onto some fantastic quilting fabric that was on sale to boot! I snagged the last 2 1/2 yards of some super fun floral and came up with these:


I know, I know, I slept in them first. But I love them and can see many more in the future for our family. And they really did only take an afternoon to put them together. I am sure my neighbors were wondering what the hee-ho I was up to as I was tracing the pattern from the book onto newsprint I stole from my child -- the pattern was taped to the window as I don't have a giant light box and was out of pattern tracing paper (I have remedied that situation now).

I forgot how exhilarating it is to sew a project up, quite literally. There will be much more to come.

2 comments:

Ket said...

See there, you went and mentioned Moda and now I'm all "ooooh, what can I make next...???"

Seriously though, super cute jammie pants. Are you bringing your machine for the Sept weekend event?

Amy H said...

I'd love to bring my machine! Do you think we can set up an ironing board too? Might have to call the Doodle to inquire. :)