Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Re-fashioning becomes just Fashioning

I have become quite interested lately in the idea of refashioning clothing. I have all too much of it and hate the thought of going to get more when there is so much in my closet. But let’s face it, we all need a wardrobe update now and again. Enter refashioning.

The more I sew, the more I feel the need to have the right tools. I suppose, like anything else, having the right tools makes the job so much more enjoyable. And while trying to refashion old clothes into new, I’ve come to the realization that I really could use a dress form. And may I just say, my dress form has changed my sewing world! I no longer have to ask for help pinning and re-pinning clothing on my body.

This is the current refashioning that I am doing:

I loved this hand-painted organic cotton once upon a time, but the clothing styles are completely out dated and don’t fit anymore. Problem is, I don't know enough about clothing construction to actually make this work. Naturally the blog I saw the idea on doesn't really have a tutorial. And right now, this top needs a big FAIL label across it. I was hoping to have it done to show of during Spring Top Week. That will not be happening. Instead, I have started a different top, using a pattern, and I hope to figure out from that how to refashion this. Only time will tell. At the very least I will have a top for spring that fits my body. That alone is almost enough to make me happy . . . . almost.

No comments: