Friday, July 14, 2006

Object of My Affection

So there we are, safely on the airplane, having only forgotten Hayes' toothbrush and toothpaste. These are the most fabulous things to forget, if one is to forget anything because they are absolutely replaceable and new ones make brushing that much more attractive. And then I discover it: we DO NOT have Water Squirter -- one of the three musts for getting to sleep. Hayes left his little stuffed elephant at the breakfast table and we are about to take off. This is bad news: B-A-D.

I called my dear friend Elaine just before the flight attendants ask us to turn off all cell phones and leave a desperate message. By the time we were on the ground in Baltimore Elaine has generously and fabulously caome to the rescue, agreeing to overnight Squirt to Claibourne so we could sleep soundly once again. We were able to make it through our first couple nights without Water Squirter, only because Hayes knew he was on the way. The night before the much-adored lovey arrived, Hayes asked me if Water Squirter was here yet. I promised him that it would arrive by the next evening. He looked me in the face and said, "It's just that without him, I feel like I have to cry." I tell you I wanted to cry too.

When he got back from crabbing with Granddaddy this afternoon, he saw Squirt waiting for him and immediately ran upstairs to the bed. He took a nap for the first time in months. I think he just had to have that time with Water Squirter. How did I get to be so lucky to have a kid so amazing and friends so incredible? It doesn't get much better than this.

P.S. There was much sleep last night and no little boy in my bed. I's the little things that make the difference.

No comments: