Thursday, June 02, 2005

Yeah Right

Confessions

So I have started a new book that Angie recommended (thanks!): The Myth of the Perfect Mother: Rethinking the Spirituality of Women, Carla Barnhill. I'm right there with Carla as she describes how her day gets blown in all sorts of directions despite her best intentions. I love how women are able to talk much more freely about this than my mother's generation.

Then at the end of the introduction she writes:
"I would be thrilled if pastors read this book and started thinking about the women in their churches who are impacted by these messages about motherhood and family."

All I could think of as I read these words was, "Yeah, right. A pastor is really going to take the time to read a book geared toward women who already seem so happy in the pews and readily able to help with whatever the church needs. I don't think so." And that's when I felt that feminine thing rise up again. I felt sure that no a male pastor would read a woman's book. Certainly there would be some commentary on Exodus or Acts that needed reading first, or maybe a book about the emergent church or a book about our sinful nature. Those are the issues that pertain to the whole church. Those are the issues one would be better to address (for those of you who don't know me, I am dripping with sarcasm here).

In the best of all worlds, The Myth of the Perfect Mother may show up in a pastor's stack of books that will someday get read, or more likely in the hands of his wife; but I sincerely doubt a male pastor is going to give the time of day to the plight of mothers in his church.

I know, I was shocked to find myself feeling that way too. Too bad, isn't it? But I really do feel this way. I'm trying to be more honest (even with myself) about these things.

No comments: