Monday, March 08, 2010

Sock Yarn Surprise

As we all know, I love knitting. And I have to be honest, I am a little obsessed with that self-patterning sock yarn. It's just so cool! I had a request from a customer to create a scarf using it, and the idea was just intriguing enough to draw me in. I'm so glad I did it.

I used a US 5 needle (I think I'd try a 7 if I did it again) and a basic 1 x 1 ribbing. I brought the yarn forward and then slipped the last stitch at the end of each row -- it's my favorite edge for a scarf. For the ruffling on the edges I used a plain garter stitch. The yarn, I am sad to say, has been discontinued, but is made by Trexx. The whole thing is about 5 feet long! I wanted the wearer to be able to wrap it around her neck a couple of times.

It was a lot of knitting, but the mindless kind you can do while watching TV (or sitting around as a note-taker during lab time). I'll have to consider one of these for myself. Love it!

No comments: