Monday, March 29, 2010

Virgin Harvest

One of the blogs I follow regularly, Dig This Chick, is challenging readers to do something they've never tried in the garden this year. It could be starting a garden, or just trying something new. Which, of course, is perfect for me. I may have mentioned (several thousand times) how much I love my garden.

This year, Richard and I decided we wanted to try and grow some storage vegetables, the sort we could store in a root cellar, if we actually had one. (The older I get, the more I wish I lived in Grandmom's old place.) So this year, our virgin harvest is in storage onions, sweet onions, and butternut squash. If we can remember (and feel ambitious) we might even get some winter crops in -- like kale, beets and carrots for our Thanksgiving feast. It's something we've talked about for two or three years, but never been able to accomplish.

And while we're at it, I'm hoping for a banner crop of peas this year. I've revamped the bed and actually remembered to innoculate them. I even got them in the ground at a reasonable time. I've never really had much luck with this crop, but I love peas, and would be SO happy if I could freeze my own for the rest of the year. I'm a bit nervous as I haven't yet seen even a small sprout. Still, I'll give it another couple of days before I get in there and see what's going on. It's like being a kid on Christmas morning but not being able to pick up the gift and shake it. Ah patience - you are a virtue.


2 comments:

Jody said...

Oooh, Kale is Eleanor's favorite! A little olive oil and soy sauce over raw kale = YUM! Good luck on all of it! Especially your peas.

Karen said...

So exciting that it's almost time for me to put my seedlings in the ground. We actually have several newbies for the year....spinach (my fave) and cauliflower (Dylan's fave). We started our tomatoes and peppers from seeds for a change, too. I ordered a carrot seed blanket for another new challenge. I hope my garden is big enough! Spring is here, sweetie!