I have been working on the patchy quilt again -- the weather has turned a bit chilly and I feel the pull to get this done so I can snuggle up in it. And I have to say, that the actual quilting is a LOT harder than I ever thought it would be. To tell the truth, the quilt is a red hot mess, to the true quilter. I, however, love the eclectic (even primitive) look it is taking on. And, after all, I did it myself.
But that's not why I'm a genius. Yesterday, as I was wrestling with the quilt again, the presser foot would not rise. Of course I tried it a jillion times just to be sure that, indeed, it was broken. Never having opened the cover for my 14-year-old machine, I was a little worried. I had to rummage thought the garage in order to find just the right screwdrivers (yes, plural) to crack her open.
It was then that I realized there is a lot more going on under the hood than I first imagined. I should say here, that I tend to be mechanically inclined, I just didn't know what I was going to find. After a quick search on the internet, I found a diagram that claimed all I needed to do was tighten a loose screw (no jokes, please!) and all would be better. I was dubious, but it beats the hell out of a trip to the repair shop, especially if the site was correct. I had started seeing lots of dollar signs and come to the realization that a new machine was more than I could afford.
I screwed up my courage and dove in. I was able to locate said screw, tighten it up, and put all the pieces back where they belonged! Genius, I tell you! Now it works like a charm. Crisis averted.